About my blog

Welcome to my trail running site. I enjoy being on the trail where I can take in nature and clear my mind. I prefer running in the mountains, but anywhere rural will do. In years past, I have completed four 100 mile trail races and many other ultramarathons. I spend countless hours running in the Franklin Mountains and the surrounding desert in far West Texas, which I call my church. My little Mexican hairless dog, Taz tags along sometimes. I am slowing down in my old age and am mostly running 50K trail races these days.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Twenty more years

It seems that 20 years of pounding my feet has finally taken its toll. I don’t know why, because I know people who run a lot more than I do. I haven’t really run that much have I? To warrant foot pain that has temporarily stopped me from running? I’ve only ran 20 races of 26 miles or more and I’ve never run a 100 mile week unless you count the one time that I ran 100 consecutive miles through the Sierra Nevada.

The race that started it all.
As I was cleaning up the other day, I came across my race bib collection which brought back fond memories. The first race was on Langley AFB in Virginia where I ran 8K. That race was exciting and I just kept increasing my distance from there. Next came a 10K, 10miler, half marathon, and finally the first marathon. I once ran a 10K on Camp Lejeune where Marines train. The course was cross country, through a swamp, over creeks and into shoe sucking mud.

I just couldn't wash it.
After many years of running road races I discovered the ultramarathon trail race. While hiking the Massanutten Trail in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, I came across a bunch of runners making their way through the woods. I asked one guy what they were up to and he said they were running a 100 mile trail race (Massanutten 100). I was intrigued, because I didn’t even know that was possible.


 Less than a year later I ran my first ultra; The Great Eastern Endurance Run. I only ran the half which was 50K. Not knowing what I was doing, I became slightly hyponatremic, but still finished. I’ve learned how to manage my electrolytes and calories since that first long distance trail race.

Bill Rogers autographed this one.
Not being able to run much the last month has taken its toll. I’m grumpy and the dogs are antsy. Lucy whines at me all the time to take her running. At least we have been able to walk a little, but she was meant to run like me. I’ve been doing a bit of swimming which makes me feel like a guppy in an aquarium. I pretty much hate the pool and gym for that matter. Staring at that line on the bottom makes me claustrophobic. I swam at Barton Springs in Austin once and I could see plants and fish swimming around while I worked out.

Germany has the largest race bibs
I’m doing my best to be good and refrain from running until things heal up. Plantar Fasciitis is a strange injury though. The last time I had it, I ran straight through and it just finally went away. Have you ever tried to sleep with a night splint on? I’m not sure that wearing it and resting my foot is really going to make my injury go away any quicker. One physical therapist told me that I would just wake up one morning and the pain will be gone. The problem is that it seems to last between 6 months to a year before it heals.

Luckily I only have to wear this thing at night.
I don’t intend to wait that long to start running again, but will comply for several more weeks until I have another consultation with my podiatrist. I plan on running marathons and ultras for another 20-30 years and then maybe I’ll cut back to half marathons. When I’m 100, I’ll be the guy shuffling through the mall at a pretty good clip.

See you on the trail.

2 comments:

  1. Love the Lejeune Gran prix t-shirt...pretty much tells the story. Awesome filth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cable-G, hope to get dirty again soon.

    ReplyDelete