About my blog

Welcome to my trail running site. I enjoy being on the trail where I can take in nature and clear my mind. I prefer running in the mountains, but anywhere rural will do. In years past, I have completed four 100 mile trail races and many other ultramarathons. I spend countless hours running in the Franklin Mountains and the surrounding desert in far West Texas, which I call my church. My little Mexican hairless dog, Taz tags along sometimes. I am slowing down in my old age and am mostly running 50K trail races these days.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Year in Revew


Another year has passed and that is how long it has been since I ran a race. 2011 was humbling and challenging, but overall, a good year. I was injured at the beginning of the year, but still managed to run the Big Bend 25K trail race. Not the best decision since I probably just exacerbated my problem. 
In spite of these circumstances, I managed to frequently get outside on my mountain bike and was also able to hike some interesting trails in Dog Canyon, Alamo Mountain, and Lincoln National Forest. Here is a slideshow of some of my favorite photos from 2011:




Watch out, there's a new sheriff in town!"
Not running for months on end is a humbling experience. We often take our health for granted and this was an eye opener for me. After 20 years of running mostly injury free, I had to learn how to deal with much more time on my hands.



Of course, having a new baby at home helped fill the void of what to do with all that time and that is what made this year so special. Watching Maddie go from a tiny, cranky, crying, poop machine to a cute, loving, silly, babbly kid with personality to boot was worth more than words can convey. We are so fortunate to have such a healthy happy little girl!
2012 is sure to be interesting in that it is a presidential election year. Now, I was always taught not to get into conversations about religion or politics, but this year I learned that there is another conversation which should be avoided at all costs: whether or not to run barefoot or in minimalist footwear.

Quitman Mt run 22 Dec, 2011
Quitman Mt run 24 Dec, 2011
The barefoot runners will swear that running shoeless is the answer to every problem on the planet to include reducing the national debt. However, most podiatrists and shoe salesmen will tell you that running barefoot will cause every ailment known to mankind. “You could get a serious infection or even lose an eye.” The rest of us have to pick a side just like in politics which leads to heated arguments in the running store, local gym or even on the marathon course.
Here is a post Christmas story for you: The day after Christmas, we were going on a walk at the ranch with Granddad and Grandmother. Granddad got a motion triggered wildlife camera for Christmas and we were going to set it up in a strategic location. On the way, our 8 dogs started making a furious raucous in the brush.  We called and scolded them to come which most of them did, except the scrawniest little rapscallion, Taz. 
Finally, we went in the thicket to see what was amiss and there stood, just a few feet away, a very pissed off collard peccary (javelina Tayassu tajacu) making a most peculiar noise. He was clacking his teeth together as a warning. “CLACK, CLACK, CLACK!”  Well, I was scared he might charge me and send me ass over teakettle, but I pulled out my point and shoot camera anyway and fired off a few shots. 
So far, the wildlife camera has only taken pictures of our dogs, but we are hopeful that soon we will capture a picture of something interesting. Here’s wishing you a happy new year. 




See you on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment