About my blog

Welcome to my trail running site. I enjoy being on the trail where I can take in nature and clear my mind. I prefer running in the mountains, but anywhere rural will do. In years past, I have completed four 100 mile trail races and many other ultramarathons. I spend countless hours running in the Franklin Mountains and the surrounding desert in far West Texas, which I call my church. My little Mexican hairless dog, Taz tags along sometimes. I am slowing down in my old age and am mostly running 50K trail races these days.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Fall Running

Snowpocalypse, snowmageddon, bomb-cyclone, polar-vortex. Where I grew up on the East Coast we only had the occasional nor’easter that would dump a bunch of snow on us and then move on to wreak havoc on our northern neighbors. In a few days it would warm to 70 degrees and all of it would be gone in a flash. 


American Coot

As I read about the weather disasters happening up north, I can’t complain about the West Texas weather I have been enjoying this fall. On a few mornings it was below freezing as I went out for a trail run with my dogs, but later in the day it sometimes topped 70. Autumn is quite different in the desert than it was back east. What we lack in bright fall colors, we make up for in wide open spaces. 

Sierra
Looks like Taz found a tasty treat
Lucy
Without trees, you can see forever and enjoy beautiful sunsets from almost anywhere. Fall is the best time of year to run because the scorching heat is finally gone, the monsoon rains have diminished and the wind is usually calm. That’s why over Thanksgiving weekend I headed to the “BR” (a.k.a. Neely) Ranch to run the Quitman Canyon and spend quality time with family. As you can see from these photos, Black Friday is not in our vocabulary. Hope your holiday was as special as ours. 

"Grandma's Tank" 
Fall colors W. Texas style  (photo taken on Dec 3rd)
These thorns will go through your running shoes like a knife through hot butter





See you on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment