About my blog

Welcome to my trail running site. I enjoy being on the trail where I can take in nature and clear my mind. I prefer running in the mountains, but anywhere rural will do. In years past, I have completed four 100 mile trail races and many other ultramarathons. I spend countless hours running in the Franklin Mountains and the surrounding desert in far West Texas, which I call my church. My little Mexican hairless dog, Taz tags along sometimes. I am slowing down in my old age and am mostly running 50K trail races these days.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Franklin Mountain Trail Runs Volunteering 2019

I recently spent the weekend in my backyard mountains volunteering for the Franklin Mountains Trail Runs put on by Tail Racing Over Texas. I volunteered as a member of Team Red, White and Blue, a non-profit exercise group that supports veterans. I train in the Franklins all the time and ran the 50K race last year. No matter how much time you spend wandering the Franklins (WTF), it never gets any easier. Franklin Mountains State Park, surrounded by El Paso, TX, is a rugged range with high peaks that reach over 7000’ elev. The trails are steep and gnarly with gullies full of ankle breaking rocks, scree fields and slick-rock cliffs. If you fall, you have no where to go but into prickly and pointy vegetation like cactus, shin dagger and Spanish bayonet. There are plenty of rattlesnakes to keep you alert and though I’ve never seen a mountain lion, I’m almost certain they’ve seen me.

Runners approaching N. Franklin Peak (7192')

First light on Mundy's Gap Aid Station

FMTR is more like a running festival with races happening all weekend. On Friday runners toe the line to see who will be the King and Queen of the mountain. They run from the base of the mountain up to N. Franklin Peak (7192’) and back, taking any route they choose. On Saturday TROT offers the 50K and 27K while on Sunday there are 5K, 10K and 1/2 marathon options. I volunteered all three days and enjoyed watching the runners achieve their goals. If you missed out on the fun and misery this year you have another chance to test your mettle in February during the Lone Star Hundred 100K, 100K relay or 100 miler also run in the Franklin Mountains. If you are really feeling ambitious try The Franklins 200 miler or 200K also run in February. According to the website, 2020 is the last chance to run these races!

Indian Peak from N. Franklin
W. El Paso and Mt Cristo Rey below
The weather this year was spectacular for running with cool mornings and warm afternoons. There was some wind and fog on the mountain early Friday, but otherwise the visibility was spectacular. I worked at the N. Franklin Peak on Friday and Saturday which is a 4.5 mile hike one way with 2500’ of gain. I left in the dark both mornings to make sure I was in place before the lead runners topped out to get their summit wrist bands. I also carried the revered calavera or painted skull with me. After all, Día de los Muertos or Day of the Day was celebrated here in El Paso and across the border in Mexico just last week; therefore all the race swag and medals are adorned with colorful calaveras.

"Skully"

Wildflowers aplenty


The peak was hopping on Saturday with over 300 runners climbing to the top. The leaders of the pack simply grabbed their rubber bracelet and headed back down attempting a podium finish. Mid-pack runners stayed for a while to pose with "Skully" while enjoying the view of Mexico, Texas and New Mexico. Many were destroyed by the time they made the summit and a few looked like they were about to puke. I greeted the runners with, “Welcome to the top of El Paso, enjoy your stay!” I offered to take their picture with their cell phones which they really seemed to appreciate. TROT also had a professional photographer taking photos of runners approaching the peak.

Fog rising from the desert early Saturday morning
S. Franklin Peak
It got pretty crazy up there and a bit frantic when a lot of them arrived at the same time. One dude had a scary looking medieval helmet on and grabbed the skull holding it out like a viking after battle. I started to get pretty weary after a while and had to wonder what was more difficult, volunteering or running the race. I was glad to have the opportunity to give a little back to the sport I love though. When all the crazy trail runners finally left, the peak was nice and peaceful so I stayed for a while to enjoy the solitude. 

Those loco trail runners!
Hawk hanging out over the peak
Team RWB Eagle, Gustavo Ramirez King of the Mountain!
Soon one lone latecomer arrived, having already missed the cutoff time lower on the mountain. He knew he was a DNF and left shortly after taking in the view. I stayed behind him to make sure he made it back down safely. When I reached the Mundy's Gap aid station halfway down, volunteers were packing up everything. I got word that many runners dropped at the next aid station (East) that was about 6 miles away. There were also a bunch more at the West aid at mile 27. The Franklin Mountains are no joke and will eat you alive if you haven’t trained properly or if you go out too fast.

Typical Franklin Mt trail
This dude almost didn't make it up the stairs at the 50K finish
The last day of volunteering was easy because I didn’t have to hike to the top of a mountain. I worked the second aid station in the 1/2 marathon race at mile 8. Runners have a long gradual uphill grind before reaching the aid. Many road marathoners try their luck in this race and are surprised by how tough 13 miles can be. The race doesn’t go as high as the 50K, but runners have to tackle some of the steepest and nastiest climbs (Schaeffer Shuffle Trail) in the state park. After passing through the aid station they have to ascend the rocky and rolling Upper Sunset Trail. This one has several false summits so always remember —the climb ain’t over ’til it’s over! Ultramarathon trail races are 90% mental. The other 10% is mental! There were quite a few bloody runners who had taken falls on the steep and technical trails.

1/2 Marathon, Upper Sunset Trail
Little rock wren likes to wrun too
Come play in our backyard!
I spoke to a lot of runners after the races and everyone seemed to have had a great time. The race director, staff and other volunteers are very friendly and will go out of their way to make your running experience pleasant. Well…as pleasant as running 50K in the mountains can be. Remember, without misery there can be no bliss! 

Enjoy the view:



See you on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment