About my blog

Welcome to my trail running site. I enjoy being on the trail where I can take in nature and clear my mind. I prefer running in the mountains, but anywhere rural will do. In years past, I have completed four 100 mile trail races and many other ultramarathons. I spend countless hours running in the Franklin Mountains and the surrounding desert in far West Texas, which I call my church. My little Mexican hairless dog, Taz tags along sometimes. I am slowing down in my old age and am mostly running 50K trail races these days.

Sunday, October 8, 2023

Mt Taylor 50K

 Recently I ran the Mt Taylor 50K in Grants, NM, which was my fourth finish on this sacred mountain that tops out at 11,300'. If you know me, then you understand that mountains, forests, deserts and rivers are my church. You could also call it your synagogue, mosque, temple or simply your happy place; It doesn't matter. Mt Taylor, known as Tsoodził (Turquoise Mountain) to the Navajo is one of four sacred mountains that mark the boundary of their nation. 


According to author, Tony Hillerman's version of Navajo mythology:

First Man buried turquoise in this range, hence its symbolic blue color... the chief of the Enemy Gods, Yé'iitsoh, once resided in this peak. When the Twin War Gods (Born for Water and Monster Slayer, sons of Changing Woman) killed Yé'iitsoh, his blood spilled down the slopes and hardened into the lava flows of El Malpais in the area surrounding Grants. The mountain features as a central and meaningful location for Blessingway and Enemyway ceremonies.

The weather was perfect for this race; breezy and not too hot. I was able to run comfortably for the entire time. The mountain scenery was stunning with leaves on the aspens changing to a beautiful shades of yellow and orange. The course is two different loops; each one returning to the start/finish area where you can leave your drop bag. The first loop climbs to around 10,800 in about four miles and then descends with many short up and down sections. Much of the course is on the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail, which traverses the US from Mexico to Canada, and also includes forest service roads. 

The second loop takes you up Tsoodził; your climb starting at mile 20 on tired rubbery legs and gaining 2000' in around three miles! I just concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other while using my trekking poles to help push my old worn out body upwards. All this effort just a few days shy of my 60th birthday! This isn't getting any easier and my times get slower and slower every year. 2016: 8:25, 2018: 8:26 (only 1 minute slower!), 2021: 9:11, but who's counting? I'm always grateful for any finish and for the time spent in my church, synagogue, mosque, temple or happy place.
La Mosca Lookout


Anyway, the grind upwards was tough, but I was in good company and able to share the misery with my fellow trail runners. The wind pummeled us as we crested a ridge that leads to switchbacks that take you to the final summit push. As always on steep climbs, I was passed by a few energetic runners while also passing a few struggling ones myself. We continued to leap frog while encouraging each other to keep going, which was a big help. I just kept reminding myself that the suck can only last so long and soon it will be over. Besides, the scenery was absolutely unbelievable —wide open grassy slopes dotted with evergreens and a ceiling of big puffy clouds that seemed close enough to touch.  

Once at the top, I posed for a few obligatory summit photos, soaked in the view and blasted off before the wind swept me off my feet. The descent was steep and treacherous in places due to crumbly sandstone footing and a narrow grass lined trail with a precipitous drop off to the side. A fall would really ruin your afternoon and I stumbled several times because the tall grass made it hard to see the trail (and rocks). Luckily I made it past this stretch without incident. 

La Mosca Lookout
The rest of the course was downhill until it wasn't. At around mile 28, there was another steep uphill; the last thing you want this late in the race. I kept a pretty good pace though and fortunately it was over quickly, but then I was challenged by a steep downhill on a rutty slippery slope. I used my poles to keep from losing control and tumbling down the mountain. I continued on a rocky trail, finally making it back to the finish line in 9:25, a bit slower than last time. I couldn't have done it without all the help from the friendly aid station volunteers, course markers and race staff. Most importantly, thanks to the mountain gods and indiginous people of this land for allowing us safe passage through this hallowed land.

"In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may you walk." 
View from the summit 

Here is a beautiful Navajo way blessing chant:

Today I will walk out, today everything negative will leave me 

I will be as I was before, I will have a cool breeze over my body.

I will have a light body, I will be happy forever, nothing will hinder me. 

I walk with beauty before me. 

I walk with beauty behind me.

I walk with beauty below me. 

I walk with beauty above me.

I walk with beauty around me. My words will be beautiful.

In beauty all day long may I walk. 

Through the returning seasons, may I walk.

On the trail marked with pollen may I walk. 

With dew about my feet, may I walk.

With beauty before me may I walk.

With beauty behind me may I walk. 

With beauty below me may I walk. 

With beauty above me may I walk.

With beauty all around me may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.

My words will be beautiful...

See you on the Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment