About my blog

Welcome to my trail running site. I enjoy being on the trail where I can take in nature and clear my mind. I prefer running in the mountains, but anywhere rural will do. In years past, I have completed four 100 mile trail races and many other ultramarathons. I spend countless hours running in the Franklin Mountains and the surrounding desert in far West Texas, which I call my church. My little Mexican hairless dog, Taz tags along sometimes. I am slowing down in my old age and am mostly running 50K trail races these days.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

My Year in Review 2012

(Click for a slideshow of my favorite pictures)

I rung in 2012 with a New Years Eve run and plan to finish it with the 2nd annual Run El Paso Club New Years Eve event along Scenic dr. What a better way to start and end the year. This was a very exciting year for me, so here is a slide show of some of my favorite pictures from my running adventures.









Having previously been injured, I began 2012 with some short runs and then built up my mileage as the year went along. In February I ran the El Paso half marathon and then trained some more to finish the Bataan Memorial Death March full marathon a month later. 


Miles

A high altitude marathon in July was just about the end of me because the Kendall Mt run went up a 13,000 ft peak in Silverton, Colorado, but I was still able to finish it. Following this race I began a regimen of back-to-back long runs (15-20 miles) increasing my mileage and then tackled a 50 mile race in Arizona. Having hit all my running targets in 2012, I’m ready for a new and exciting year packed with ambitious goals.



A West Texas Sunset
In the first half of 2013 I plan to run a trail marathon or longer once a month to prepare for the San Diego 100 mile trail run in June (provided I get in). In January I’ll run the Puzzler marathon in the Franklin Mountains State Park (El Paso, TX); February will be the Sugarloaf Ultra Vista 60K in Vado, NM; In March I plan to run the Bataan Death March at White Sands Missile Range, NM; April will take me outside of Albuquerque, NM to run the Cedro Peak 45 miler and in May I hope to finish the Jemez Mountain 50K in Los Alamos, NM. 


Running the borderland
We recently enjoyed a wonderful Christmas at the BR Ranch where I tried to stay warm by running the borderland with some of our dogs. A brisk arctic wind made It challenging at times, but warming up by the wood stove afterwards made it worthwhile. Cara, Maddie and our family had fun on the horses. “Ride Jody all by self,” says Maddie. We are so proud of her!

Maddie on Jody (Mom's supervising from behind)
I hope your holiday was as special as ours. Happy New Year to everyone; wishing you all a wonderful 2013. May all your runs feel like they are downhill, with the wind to your back leading to a new PR. 

See you on the trail.

5 comments:

  1. Great Pictures. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice to read about some great runs this year, when last year you ended up writing a lot about rehab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone. Yes, I didn't have to write about physical therapy this year. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about Leadville 100 on August 18? Registration just opened, no lottery. I am thinking about it if I don't make lottery at UTMB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...that altitude slows me down to a snail's pace. I would have to stay up there for a month prior. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete