About my blog

Welcome to my trail running site. I enjoy being on the trail where I can take in nature and clear my mind. I prefer running in the mountains, but anywhere rural will do. In years past, I have completed four 100 mile trail races and many other ultramarathons. I spend countless hours running in the Franklin Mountains and the surrounding desert in far West Texas, which I call my church. My little Mexican hairless dog, Taz tags along sometimes. I am slowing down in my old age and am mostly running 50K trail races these days.

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

El Malpais National Monument

El Malpais National Monument is a gem just south of Grants, NM. I visited the day before I ran the Mt Taylor 50K so I didn’t do any running, but drove to a few scenic overlooks to take in the sights. El Malpais is a volcano field with lava flows, cinder cones, lava tubes and caves. The McCartys Flow, one of the youngest lava flows in the lower 48 states, can be seen here and is only about 3000 years old. 


Sandstone Bluff Overlook


Several “trails” take visitors across or around the lava fields, but hike with caution. From what I was told, there are cairns of black lava rocks marking the way, but are very hard to see from a distance. One could easily get lost because black rocks blend in against a field of otherwise featureless black lava. Also be sure to wear sturdy boots because the sharp lava is hard on the soles of your shoes. 



McCartys Flow
I got a spectacular view of the lava from high above by visiting the Sandstone Bluff overlook which can be reached by traveling S. on highway 117 off of I-40 near Grants, NM. You can walk along the bluffs to observe strange wind worn boulders, shallow natural water “tanks”, mini slot canyons and hoodoos. Mt Taylor can be seen from a distance while stunted pines and juniper trees surround the cliffs with some even protruding straight out of the rocks.




After spending some time at the bluff, I drove down to the La Ventana Arch, a natural bridge that spans about 120 feet. It’s the second largest natural arch in New Mexico. The hike to the base is only about 1/4 mile. Wildflowers were beautiful here, especially the magenta four o’clocks that were blooming around the parking area. El Malpais was a perfect park to visit before my race because I was able to see spectacular sights while saving my legs for the race the next day. You can read my race report here

La Ventana Arch




See you on the Trail

No comments:

Post a Comment